Bird count, AdAmAn talk among activities at Garden of the Gods in DecemberDec. 5, 2017
An Audubon bird count and programs on the AdAmAn Club and winter hiking are among the December events scheduled at the Garden of the Gods Visitor & Nature Center.
The Visitor Center is at 1805 N. 30th St.
The bird count will be Saturday, Dec. 16 from 8 to 11:30 a.m. Anyone is welcome. Meet at the Visitor Center's lower lobby. The phone number for this event is 219-0108.
An admission fee ($5) and reservations (at 219-0104 or gardenofgods.com) are necessary for the following two events:
- Sunday, Dec. 10, from 3 to 4:30 p.m., "Tips for Hiking in Winter" - a presentation with "practical tips on gear, safety and trails," a flyer states.
- Sunday, Dec. 17, from 3 to 4:30 p.m., "Behind the Scenes with the AdAmAn Club" - a slide show about the club's "history and adventure," led by club president Donald Sanborn, a flyer states.
Ongoing, shorter presentations are also offered at the center in December, as follows:
- Fridays, Dec. 8 and 15 at 10 a.m., preschool program (story and crafts). Reservations necessary at 219-0108.
- Saturdays, Dec. 9, 23 and 30 at 11:30 a.m., "Pikes Peak or Bust: The Gold Rush"; and 12:45 p.m., "Bighorn Sheep: Versatile Monarch of the Mountains."
- Monday, Dec. 11 at noon, "Bear Essentials."
- Saturdays, Dec. 23 and 30 at 10:30 a.m., "Spanish Explorers and the Age of Exploration."
- Mondays, 11 a.m., "The Noisy Magpie - A Real Bird Brain."
- Tuesdays, noon, "Introduction to Garden of the Gods Geology."
- Wednesdays, 4 p.m., "Rattlesnakes."
Other free offerings include guided nature walks daily at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. (meet at the North Main Parking Lot) and two weekly fitness activities (a walk - "Get Fit in the Garden," Wednesdays at 9 a.m.; and a 5K run, "Gallop in the Garden," Thursdays at 4 p.m.).
The Visitor Center is owned and operated by the Garden of the Gods Foundation. To make reservations for the Gateway Adventure Series or to obtain other program information, call 219-0104 or go to gardenofgods.com.
Westside Pioneer/press release