Westside schools: Hugill gains Boettcher recognition; various back-to-school events planned
Doug Hugill, physics teacher and cross-country coach at Coronado High School, is an honoree in the 2004 Boettcher
Foundation Teacher Recognition Awards Program.
The six-year CHS teacher will receive a $1,000 grant to use toward a special program or project at the school.
The award resulted from Boettcher scholarship recipient Grant Goerzen having nominated Hugill as teacher “who had made a significant contribution to his growth and education and impacted his life,” according to a Boettcher press release.
Goerzen, who graduated last spring, was cross-country team captain the past two years and a student in Hugill's physics classes.
District-wide - The first day of the 2004-05 school year will be Thursday, Aug. 19 for all District 11 schools.
- Teaching at multiple Westside schools will be Arlien Neuenschwander (vocal music).
Coronado High - New staff: Marcia Landwehr, assistant principal; Walter Araguario, math tutor; Lucy Cousinneau-York, business teacher; Lesley Hager, English teacher; Brent Urban, spanish teacher; Curt Christensen, physical education teacher; Paula Palmisano, reading teacher; Misty Garland , science teacher; Sharon Harter, science teacher.
- Aug. 19, student-body dance with live band, hosted by Student Council, from 7 to 10 p.m. The theme is “Last Day of Summer.”
- Open house starting at 6 p.m. Aug. 26. Featured will be entertainment by the Coronado Jazz Band and talks by Principal Susan Humphrey and District 11 Superintendent Dr. Norm Ridder.
- Except for golf, which began Aug. 9, all CHS fall sports will begin Aug. 16.
- Placed high: CHS student Gabe Burak, second place in freestyle and third place in Greco Roman in the junior national wrestling championships in Fargo, N.D., in late July. He competed at 105 pounds.
- Honored: District 11 employee Paul Hansen, business education teacher at Coronado and former assistant football coach at Mitchell, the CHSCA Assistant Coach of the Year award for football.
Jackson Elementary - Open houses: Aug. 24 for grades K-2 and Aug. 26 for grades 3-5.
- New teachers: Elizabeth O'Keefe (fourth and fifth), Karen Pickens (first) and Amy Jennings (kindergarten).
Howbert Elementary - Ice Cream Social Tuesday, Aug. 17 at 5:30 p.m.
New staff members: Kristen Whitcomb (literacy resource).
Pike Elementary - “Welcome Back to School” hot dog dinner Aug. 17 at 6 p.m.
- New staffers: Charlene Crandall, literary resource teacher; Sharon Dant, psychologist/counselor; Donna Driscoll, fifth-grade teacher; Julie Halfpop, staff assistant; Coy Harvey, fourth-grade teacher; Rose Kallin, adult and family education teacher; Leonrda Nawacki, education assistant.
Buena Vista Elementary - “Meet the Teacher” Open House Aug. 18 from 3 to 5:30 p.m.
Washington Elementary - Welcome Back Social at 1:30 p.m. Aug. 19.
Ivywild School - ice cream social/open house Aug. 19 from 6 to 7 p.m.
Westside Pioneer article from releases