6 concerts at Bear Creek, 1 at Bancroft for summer Jazz in the Parks seriesJune 11, 2018
Seven free outdoor concerts, each with a different band, will be offered on the Westside this summer by the Pikes Peak Jazz & Swing Society (PPJASS).
Called "Jazz in the Parks," the performances will be offered most Wednesday nights from June 27 to Aug. 29.
All but one of the shows will be at El Paso County's Bear Creek Regional Park (BCRP), west of 21st Street, off Argus Boulevard. Bands typically play in a covered pavilion, with attendees spread out informally on the surrounding grassy area.
The other site will be Bancroft Park in Old Colorado City, where the bandshell was renovated last year after a fire.
The shows at Bear Creek are coordinated by PPJASS with the county's Summer Concerts in the Parks program.
Here are the scheduled Westside dates (all are from 6 to 8 p.m, except Aug. 29, which starts at 5):
· June 27, BCRP, New Horizons Kicks Band.
· July 11, Bancroft Park, Summit Jazz Ensemble.
· July 18, BCRP, The Swing Connection.
· Aug. 1, BCRP, Academy Jazz Ensemble.
· Aug. 8, BCRP, New Horizons All In Jazz Ensemble.
· Aug. 22, BCRP, Triple Play Quartet.
· Aug. 29, BCRP, US Air Force Academy Band Falconaires and Alumni Band.
Formed in 1985, PPJASS promotes jazz in the community.
The full Jazz in the Parks summer schedule is at ppjass.org/events.html.
Westside Pioneer article