C. Harry Blunt Jr.
Memorial services were performed June 1 for C. Harry Blunt Jr., 66, who had passed away May 26.
A lifelong Colorado Springs resident, Mr. Blunt had previously owned the Westside's Blunt Mortuary - the third of three generations of his family to do so. Records show that Blunt's grandfather, George E. Blunt, bought the business with his son, Harry Sr., in 1920. Located at that time off Pikes Peak Avenue and 25th Street, it was originally called “Blunt and Son,” according to research by Westside historian Dave Hughes.
In 1936, the Blunts built a new mortuary at the current location, 2229 W. Colorado Ave., according to the website of the Colorado Funeral Directors' Association.
George Blunt died in 1942, Harry Blunt Sr. in 1966.
The latter also was Colorado Springs mayor from 1951-1957 and donated the land for what is now Blunt Park off Vermijo and 22nd streets.
Blunt Mortuary has been owned since 2003 by Bill Holt.
Harry Blunt Jr. was born July 14, 1943. His mother was the late Anne (Hoag) Blunt. He was a past president of the Colorado Springs Jaycees and a Westside Recipient (a Coronado High award).
According to the family obituary, Mr. Blunt is survived by his wife of 44 years, Sandy, and three children, Lisa Wilcox of Santa Barbara, Calif; Lori White and Jason Blunt, both of Colorado Springs; and six grandchildren. Mr. Blunt was preceded in death by a half-brother, Frank Florey.
The family has requested that memorial donations be made to Colorado Springs Parks for maintenance and support of Blunt Park.
Westside Pioneer article