Historic home goes up in smoke

       An accidental fire, caused by a wood-burning stove, destroyed a historic Westside home at 1028 W. Pikes Peak Ave. the evening of April 24.
       No one was injured, other than a firefighter who was treated and released. The estimated loss was $190,000, according to Capt. Neil Luehring of the Colorado Springs Fire Department.
       The house had been built in 1895, and owners Kenneth and Judith Cox bought it in 1978, according to County Assessor's Office records.
       The fire, which took more than two hours to control, was battled by 44 firefighters, Capt. Ted Collas reported. The initial alarm came in at 5:39 p.m.
       Luehring said the fire started in the flue area of the stove and spread to the attic. He explained that the fire moved through the house more quickly because of its older- style “balloon construction” - essentially meaning a lack of fire blocking in the walls, as in modern construction. “A lot of older houses on the Westside are built that way,” he said.

Westside Pioneer article