Clock: Recognizing Mrs. Chambon
As a follow-up to March 1 and 15 Westside Pioneer stories on the clock tower in the Old Town Plaza shopping center, Westside civic leader/ historian Dave Hughes
suggested a little more elaboration on how the clock came to be there.
As noted in the story, the clock was dedicated to long-time Westside businessman Clarion Chambon, who had developed the space at 25th Street and Colorado Avenue in the 1960s. According to Hughes, Chambon's widow, Vera, approached him for ideas, then donated the money for the clock, which was later given to the city.
The 1980 dedication ceremony featured Mrs. Chambon and Leon Young (who was the City Council member for the Westside from the 1970s to the '90s).
Vera Francis Chambon was born Nov. 21, 1918. She died Oct. 24, 2006. She was a businesswoman and a 72-year Colorado Springs resident. Mrs. Chambon was survived by three daughters, Beverley Mason, Janice Billingsley and Carol Gloss. She was preceded in death by her husband, Clarion Chambon. Services were at Mesa Bible Church, 615 W. Uintah St. Burial was at Fairview Cemetery.
Westside Pioneer article