Fire displaces family on Cucharras
An accidental fire at 1329 W. Cucharras St. displaced the family living there the morning of Jan. 11.
According to a Colorado Springs Fire Department press release, a total of 24 firefighters responded, containing the blaze to the attic of the house. No one was injured.
The cause of the fire was identified as overheated electrical wiring.
The American Red Cross assisted the displaced family, the release states.
Veteran songwriting camp
The Garden of the Gods Club on Mesa Road will host a songwriting retreat for veterans Jan. 19-23.
Called the Songwriting Camp for Veterans, it is “a component of transition programs” that are intended to help military members who have been in combat situations. They will be given a chance to work with professional musicians and songwriters.
Hosted by LifeQuest Military Transitions, a Colorado Springs nonprofit, “all costs for veterans are covered, including travel, accommodations and music camp activities,” a press release states. “The mission of LifeQuest is to empower military service members with life skills that enable personal growth, promote leadership development and facilitate positive change during transition into, through and beyond military life.”
The Garden of the Gods Club has donated $20,000 in lodging and space for the event.
A previous camp was held last July in Edwards, Colo., involving nine members of the military, with some of the resulting music performed at the Faces of Freedom concert Sept. 11 at the World Arena.
Proceeds from the recordings will benefit the veterans and help fund LifeQuest's programs.
For more information, go to mylq.org.
Westside Pioneer/press releases